Final Week!

This week is the last week I will be blogging for my Nursing Leadership Course. It is a bitter sweet moment for me because this marks the end of my schooling in pursuit of a Bachelors of Science in Nursing. I have worked so hard to get this point and I can’t believe it is here. This past year in the bachelors program has taught me about my role as a nurse beyond the bedside care that I was taught in the ASN. I was able to go on a trip to Samoa with UVU’s nursing and learn about the culture and help the people of Samoa with what we could. It was one of the most amazing trips I could’ve ever taken and is something that I will forever treasure as a nurse. On days where I am having a hard time,  I try to remind myself of how blessed I am to have the resources to care for people in a way that does help them get better compared to the care that is given in a country like Samoa. They have the people who want to help but they don’t have the resources in the community or in the hospital to help them like they need. 

This course has taught me a different perspective on the different leadership roles that nurses can grow into. It’s hard to realize the challenges that nursing leaders face and it’s easy to just put blame on them when something is changed that we do not agree with. The job they have is not easy and when someone grows into that leadership role they truly have worked toward it because it is not easy. I also learned how I can grow into a leadership role and still stay at the bedside. There are ways to get involved in helping with leadership changes and making my voice heard when I do not agree with the changes occurring. I also learned of the challenges that nursing leaders face and how they can be managed. It is not an easy job to have to solve issues that went wrong and implement changes that in the long run help prevent these same mistakes from occurring in the future. I am proud to be a NURSE and will continue to work toward helping others love nursing as much as I do.